Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Events Discussion

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Recycled homes, one box at a time

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Fenix

Recycled homes, one box at a time Empty
PostSubject: Recycled homes, one box at a time   Recycled homes, one box at a time EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 6:19 pm

Quote :
CHARLESTON, South Carolina (CNN) -- Magoline Hazelton is used to people driving by her home just to take a look. She's also known as the "house lady" by her fellow residents in North Charleston, South Carolina.
Steel shipping containers, like these at a depot, can be turned into homes.

From the outside, Hazelton's home doesn't seem much different from the rest of the neighborhood. But there's one big difference. Her house is made from cargo shipping containers.

Using containers to build homes has increasingly become a trend in the past several years because it can be cheaper and faster than using traditional construction methods. There are also plenty of containers at most major ports.

About 18 million containers are used worldwide to transport a variety of everyday products, such as cars, toys and food. Because the United States imports more than it exports, many containers end up stacked at ports.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/06/12/recycled.homes/index.html#cnnSTCText
Back to top Go down
H2O

H2O

PostSubject: Re: Recycled homes, one box at a time   Recycled homes, one box at a time EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 3:36 am

Recycled homes, one box at a time Container.before

She built a monster if this picture is her home..

I think I could do great with only 4 of those 10X40 containers.

I checked to see the sizes of shipping containers, and I found out these two sizes.

10X40 --cost $2800 delivered to the property here at my place.
and
10X20 -- cost $2500 delivered to the property.

Here being mid south central USA.
Back to top Go down
Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Recycled homes, one box at a time   Recycled homes, one box at a time EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 3:59 am

These require an inside Insulation for many areas. This means framing or gluing Styrofoam panels.
The foam comes as thick as 12 inches in 4x8 sheets.

For Alaska or very hot climates, I would use 4 to 6 inch thick Styrofoam panels.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recycled homes, one box at a time   Recycled homes, one box at a time Empty

Back to top Go down

Recycled homes, one box at a time
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Breaking News-Alerts-
Jump to: